Go Back   Real Racin USA Motor Sports Forum > FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING > KARNAC's FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2021, 01:17 AM
Super Late Model

Default Yuck. Don't do this

I will tell you what went down, but you'll have to forgive the fact that this is a Florida board and it happened tonight at Fayetteville Motor Speedway in NC.

I made my first visit to FMS tonight; it is a very nice 1/4 mile dirt. The surface preparation was excellent, they had 8 local classes with plenty of cars, perfect weather, a good crowd....what could go wrong?

The show sucked because of its organization.

They opened "the show" with 3+ hours on qualifying, hot laps and track prep. Yep, more than 3 hours to qualify every car in every class, and then they all started straight up. Halfway through qualifying I was already zoned out and looking at my phone.

The FIRST race finally rolled off at 9:15, then they had INTERMISSION! Try running a slow show like this in Florida, and a riot would break out like it was BLM night at the track.

Something struck me as very funny during intermission. They had a candy drop where a few hundred kids gathered below the starters stand, and the starter rained down a treat provided by a local sponsor. Tonight, the sponsor was a septic tank company. Was it sick that I imagined the potential for a horrible practical joke regarding the sponsor? It all ended well however. The starter dropped down several pounds of candy and everyone went away happy.

Everyone except me. For starters I didn't get any candy. And I had a long drive back coupled with a very early morning coming on Sunday. So I bailed at 11 after seeing THREE out of eight features.

This is a racey track, and the teams came prepared to go. I don't fault them at all. The starter was impatient like I was. In fact, I could see he was at war with the infield crew who were moving like DOT employees on a highway project.

The take-away is that the track fumbled an opportunity to make new race fans. The show started so slowly and so late that I suspect many fans checked out and never got into it. A damn shame, but I bet they do this every week. Racing in the Carolinas is no where near as entertaining as it is in Florida!
Old 04-18-2021, 08:36 AM
Super Late Model

And you say that never happened in Florida?

I want to go to the races with you from now on.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:48 PM
Super Late Model

Yes but they sold plenty of hot dogs and beer .and got your admission fee .
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2021, 06:11 PM
Super Late Model

Timesplitter, will there be return customers?

Old school, every track does it every week.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:45 AM
Super Late Model

Boneman the short answer to that question is yes of course .

Last edited by timesplitter : 04-19-2021 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-19-2021, 01:00 PM
Super Late Model

Single car qualifying is a great bonus for the early birds but it should never start at post time. Want to qualify all your classes do it before racing starts!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2021, 04:56 PM
Super Late Model

re: qualifying

Back in the day, when most shows went quickly, I think this is how it was done.

NO QUALIFYING, with the exception of the guvcup and a (very) few more really big races.

Qualifying was/is boring.

Instead, I think they lined them up straight up according to points for the heats. Outsiders started in the back.

Then they inverted for the feature.

There was some sandbagging, but not much. It was considered a badge of honor to start in the back. And if the outsiders (McGurk, McInnis, Reutimans) could pass them all, that was fine too.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:49 AM
Super Late Model

I don't know if I could get on board with a septic tank sponsor.I would however be the kind of promoter that would seek a funeral home sponsor...Then have them hand out a last place award to the guy who couldn't get his dead ass moving fast enough.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:59 AM
Super Late Model

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool+ View Post
re: qualifying

Back in the day, when most shows went quickly, I think this is how it was done.

NO QUALIFYING, with the exception of the guvcup and a (very) few more really big races.

Qualifying was/is boring.

Instead, I think they lined them up straight up according to points for the heats. Outsiders started in the back.

Then they inverted for the feature.

There was some sandbagging, but not much. It was considered a badge of honor to start in the back. And if the outsiders (McGurk, McInnis, Reutimans) could pass them all, that was fine too.
Old school back probably around 1972 I lived in Columbus Ohio and went to Columbus Motor Speedway on Sunday night's.Toledo Speedway ran on Sunday also.Toledo had rained out and Joe Ruttman hauled ass for Columbus and rolled up to the pit sign in as the last latemodel heat was running.He lined that damn ugly school bus yellow #70 Chevelle up on the tail for the feature never having turned a lap at CMS ever.Then proceeded to run away from the 24 car field in a 35 lap feature.It was a clinic on how to get beat in your own backyard.