Go Back   Real Racin USA Motor Sports Forum > FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING > KARNAC's FLORIDA STOCK CAR RACING
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2019, 08:48 PM
Super Late Model

Default Soft pedaling it

Does anyone know how common it is to take it easy in long races? I went to Myrtle Beach last night, and I can see that "the pack" really backs it down for most of the race. They run side by side all night; its like watching an exhibition with vintage cars.

How do I know? It is clear when someone wants to lead, they pull out and blow by the cars in front. In fact, last night one of the local favorites got a lap down. He mashed it and passed the leaders to put himself on the lead lap. Then he drove all the way around to the back of the pack again, passed all 25 or so of them and took the lead. How long did this take? 40 laps!

So why is everyone going so slow? My guess is that the track is old and abrasive, and it must eat tires. Do they race like this at other abrasive tracks like Pensacola too? Is there something else behind this?
Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Late Model

Hard to believe all them fellers would "let" a guy pass them.

...would you?

Easier to believe that--

A) He has a lot mo money at his disposal, or

B) He is extra good at interpreting the rules, or

Both.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:23 PM
Super Late Model

With all due respect buddy, the guy that unlapped himself is not a high dollar team. He just mashed it when everyone else was stroking along. I've never seen this happen anywhere else where it was so obvious, and remember, this race has 10+ different leaders. They just seemed to surge to the front at will and run there for a bit. It was odd.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2019, 05:38 AM
Super Late Model

That reminds me of something from years ago,except you said the guy was a local.Ed Howe came to Columbus in 1972 in an old Chevelle.Running a small block against all the Columbus locals big blocks he ran away from them three weeks in a row.Evidently they decided they had enough and on his fourth trip down from Michigan they just stroked along side by side leaving him mired back in the field.It worked because his ninth place finish that night chased him away to other places and he only came back for longer distance big money races occasionally after that.
Old 11-19-2019, 07:34 AM
Super Late Model

Maybe they were, shall we say, non Maga hat guys, and it was that guy's turn to win.

You know, to be fair.

Last edited by OldSchool+ : 11-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:59 AM
Super Late Model

You definitely have to manage your tires at Pcola as they start falling off fast, but no not all like that.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links